October 18, 2014

Ward Woodcutting Day

Every year, our ward has a family activity to go chop wood for our ward pile.  Now that Nate is the Elder's Quorum President, it was one of his responsibilities to put it on.  So we headed out today to go cut wood. 
I have never had to cut wood.  I have never lived with a wood stove or a fireplace, so I had no idea what I was doing, but me and another mom went over for a little bit to give it a shot.  It was a lot harder than it looks, that's for sure.  Some of the guys there had it down and I felt like I wasn't useful at all.  After a few tries, I got one piece split and broken and then my body couldn't take the heavy swinging anymore. Nate did really good and was pretty much swinging his ax around all morning.  To say he was sore the next day would be an understatement.  He hurt to bend over and pick up something or even just to sit down in his chair. 
The project was a success and Nate even let the boys try out the ax a little bit near the end.  They really wanted to help.  At about 11:30, we stopped for a lunch break of hot dogs cooked over a fire and some rolls and lunch meat.  The boys had fun cooking their stuff over the fire.  

No comments: